Baby's big day out-Survival Guide


This weekend my little family of three were honored to witness my brother-in-law marry his bride and what a beautiful day it was. Candles, flowers, a stunning church and equally spectacular reception everything was planned right down to the napkins displaying organisation skills I could only dream of!

Once I'd had Leo and realised just how many things change after having a baby (my body unfortunately included) I was still very much looking forward to their big day but also riddled with nerves about it. I had visions of a screaming baby during the vows, a dress that wouldn't zip up and baby sick all over my husband's best man shirt but luckily my worries were all for nothing-apart from the sick on Arron's shirt because that ABSOLUTELY happened. We were very lucky, Leo was in an excellent mood, we were surrounded by people who doted on him and it was a day we will never forget but if I could share just a few things that made this day that bit easier this would be them!



BIBS...when you think you've packed enough, pack three more! I'm well aware our little one is probably too young to be teething but his gums are definitely getting harder and he is dribbling more than the England squad (although that's not hard!) For a whole day out I packed six in total and each one came back dripping with baby goo and ready for the washing machine.

DUMMY...love them or hate them it's all personal preference. Our son doesn't rely on his 24/7 but it is there for when nothing else will quite soothe him and came in very handy during a day when there's a lot of long silences. Leo's favourite are from the 'Nipple friendly MAM' range.

OUTFIT...I was so excited to buy Leo his first suit and even at 10 weeks there is so much to chose from! In the end we went for a 3-piece set from L'aredoute and shorts from H&M, both linked below.
www.laredoute.co.uk/newbornbabyboythreepiece
www.hm.com/cobaltboysshorts
Anyone with a baby will agree that sleepsuits are the way forward in life! They are my holy grail, easy, warm, cute and so accessible for the nappy change but I knew we needed something smarter for the big day and he looked adorable in his mini suit. It was a warm day so the shorts option was perfect and his little shirt was surprisingly breathable. However cute he looked we packed a few different changes of clothing and by 7pm he was in his 2nd outfit change (1st was subject to excessive dribble!) so would recommend spare outfits above all else!

STIMULATION...Now this is a funny one but a tactic that I use every single day! My favourite 'Mum Hack' at the moment is to keep our little man awake as long as possible. This means bouncing...this means singing, dancing and generally looking to the rest of the world like you have ADHD but my god it works. By keeping Leo stimulated in his 'wakeful hours' he is a much more settled baby and sleeps longer in between. I was stood outside the church rocking him about right up until the minute we sat down for the ceremony and he blissfully sat through the whole hour's service without a peep!

A GOOD (BIG) CHANGING BAG...I recently did a review on my SkipHop changing bag but as long as it's big and has room for all of your bits then any brand will do. This proved invaluable on the day and contained not only all of Leo's things but mine too (and some of the other guests items too!) My bag comes with an integrated changing mat too which was perfect as there weren't specific changing facilities on site and we all know when they have to go, they have to go!

DRINK...although not 'that' kind of drink, unlike most weddings! As I'm breast feeding I notice that I really start to struggle if I don't drink enough water during the day and it's days like these when you are out and about that you really forget. When your not sure when your next 'pit stop' will be just put a large bottle in your changing bag and you can refill later in the day. Since watching Love Island (every night for six weeks to be precise) I have seen these personalized bottles from the show get released. A good, personal gift for an expectant mummy or just a fun present, they might not be everyone's 'type on paper' but I definitely want one!


SOCKS...a cute outfit isn't complete without a pair of tiny socks (the sort I used to go gooey over when I first found out I was pregnant) and I bought ours from George at ASDA. In my experience I always go for trainer socks as it's still summer here and they come up shorter on baby's legs. The elastic in the top also means that they stay on better and somehow Leo kept both on all day long!

YOUR DRESS...I went quite brave with a body-con white floral dress from QUIZ as I have been trying to lose the baby weight but whatever kind you chose make sure you feel beautiful in it. Nothing is more obvious than someone who isn't comfortable in their own skin. Your body changes when you have a baby, of course it does! You carry a whole human around with you for nine months, somehow (hopefully with the help of pain relief) push them out and then get little to no sleep for another six months so yes you'll look a little different than you did at prom but embrace the change! I love looking like a mum because Leo is my favourite accessory and any bit of body confidence or appearance worries are squashed when he's with me!


SMILE...lastly don't take everything too seriously. At a wedding it's highly likely that at least half the guests have been in your shoes at some point or another. Babies like to make a mess, they like a good cry when they are that bit too hungry or too tired and they never sleep at the right time but everyone understands. We had a wonderful first big day out with our little one and it was lovely him getting to meet so many new people!

Lastly, incase they are reading this while sunning themselves on a (hopefully hot and wonderful) honeymoon, I wanted to wish a huge congratulations to Mr&Mrs Sharpe and a lifelong of happy memories.

Comments



  1. This professional hacker is absolutely reliable and I strongly recommend him for any type of hack you require. I know this because I have hired him severally for various hacks and he has never disappointed me nor any of my friends who have hired him too, he can help you with any of the following hacks:

    -Phone hacks (remotely)
    -Credit repair
    -Bitcoin recovery (any cryptocurrency)
    -Make money from home (USA only)
    -Social media hacks
    -Website hacks
    -Erase criminal records (USA & Canada only)
    -Grade change

    Email: cybergoldenhacker at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts