Happy baby



No reviews or favourites today but something that I’ve wanted to write and get out there ever since I became a Mum!
Routine??
The mine field that is ‘routine’! As a first time mummy I read every blog post, online advice and celebrity endorsed book that I could find to learn all about a good routine for your baby. I would brush up on my knowledge everyday as my belly grew bigger and bigger and had this big plan on what kind of mother I’d be.
Four months on and does little Leo have a great routine? No
Is he sleeping through the night? No
Do I have time to do my hair and make up and look like the yummy mummy I thought I could be? No
But...
Is Leo happy? Yes
Is Leo healthy? Absolutely
Am I happy? God yes!

Being a good parent isn’t always about your baby doing exactly the same thing at 4pm each day and when I realised that (probably 16 weeks into motherhood) I became a much happier mummy!
Some days are magical, Leo has five or six feeds a day and sleeps eight hours and others Leo has more like ten feeds and doesn’t sleep at all it can change all the time. But the things that really matter is that Leo being healthy, eating and happy which he ticks those boxes with ease. If I could shed one bit of wisdom it would be to not put so much pressure on yourself!

You have just grown a human, given up your body for the best part of a year to carry your baby then somehow mustered the energy to push it out, so even before you really start motherhood you’ve already done an amazing thing! Then suddenly Leo was here and completely ours to look after for life! Ten seconds after his birth I knew that I’d take a bullet for that baby, brutally run over someone who was willing beg to hurt him, it’s mad just how much your insists kick in.

I am a firm believer that as long as your baby is feeding and putting weight on then however they are doing that is the right thing for them. For us, I really wanted to breastfeed and am pleased to say I have managed so far for four months (that’s not to say it’s any better than formula but it’s what we wanted to do) there were some days Leo would feed for two hours at a time with only forty-five minutes between but I learnt that was just my body adjusting to produce something it’s never produced before! I am so glad that I persevered through the bad becomes then came all of the good! Shout out to all of those daddies too because I couldn’t have done any of it without the relentless, amazing support of my husband. Parenting is teamwork and it’s tricky but it’s so rewarding I wouldn’t change a single thing.


My secret ingredient to a happy baby is being happy yourself, simple!

Comments

Popular Posts